L.S. Ayres and Company holds a special place in the hearts of Hoosiers. The Indianapolis retailer came into being when Lyman S. Ayres purchased controlling interest in the Trade Palace in 1872. His son Frederic M. Ayres inherited the business and incorporated it as L.S. Ayres and Company in 1896. The flagship store, opened in 1905, was a destination in downtown Indianapolis, home to an elegant Tea Room and several Christmas traditions. This collection of images illustrates the history of L.S. Ayres and Company and the Ayres family. Included are materials from the L.S. Ayres and Company Records, Ayres family photo albums, W.H. Bass Photo Company Collection, Bretzman Photograph Studio Collection, and other Indiana Historical Society collections.